The Painter works in the fabrication shop to carefully apply finishes to our museum products.
The candidate must have a critical eye and outstanding attention to detail.
Most days are spent sanding parts and applying finishes either by hand or with a spray gun. Some products have painted finishes; some are stained. Generally, a clear topcoat is applied. Hand and random orbital sanding are both required before finishing and between coats. Sometimes assembly of finished components is needed. You’ll also spend time neatly packing up completed orders to be shipped out once the finishing is complete. Overall, you can probably expect to spend 1/3 time sanding, 1/3 time painting, and 1/3 on related tasks.
This is a physically and mentally demanding job and requires very strong attention to detail--we work with museums almost exclusively and strive for museum-quality in all that we create!
Functions / Responsibilities
- Sand and prep exhibit components for finishing
- Carefully apply finishes to prepped exhibit components
- Pack and crate finished products for shipping
- Assist Fabrication Team in producing exhibit prototypes, components, and products
- Assist with off-site exhibit deliveries and installations
- Keep shop clean and organized
- Follow all safety rules and regulations while performing work assignments and adhere to all policies and procedures as specified in the Employee Handbook
- Other duties as assigned
sanding, painting, assembly – would you get energized doing these things daily?
- Must be quality-minded with strong attention to detail
- Must be comfortable working in a shop environment with power tools
- Must be able to work independently and also in partnership with the Fabrication Team
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Must be able to stand for an 8-hour shift
- Must communicate clearly, professionally, respectfully, and honestly at all times
- Experience from previous painting or finishing work
- Knowledge of woodworking and/or metalworking techniques
The employee works in manufacturing where medium to high noise levels and other potential hazards exist and hearing protection and protective safety glasses are required.
Pay starts at $16 / hr. This position is eligible for paid time off and a 401k retirement plan with company match!
How to Apply
Send us an email. Please include:
- your resume
- a cover letter telling us about yourself and past work experience
- bonus: photos of 3 projects you’ve completed, with descriptions of what you did and why you feel each project is worth sharing with us
The ability to communicate clearly is important to us–it’s one of our core values. We use photos and videos to improve our communication whenever possible. Shop employees are expected to photograph their work daily on their smartphone and share it with the team through our project management software.
Send your email to email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!